Thursday, November 22, 2007

Handling Depression

The Lord works in mysterious ways. Just as I blogged about my depression, I received this article from Food For Thought. It's a factual yet interesting article I would like to share.

HANDLING DEPRESSION
Contributed by Melanie Schurr


"Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance. "
-Psalm 42:5


30 to 40 million Americans are reported to suffer from depression.

If you think you may be one of those people who also has it, keep in mind that society tends to use the word "depression" to cover everything from sadness or disappointment over failing a test to the overwhelming sense of hopelessness and despair that some people say have caused
them to contemplate suicide.

Oftentimes, one's depression has underlying causes that are not physical, chemical or hormonal, but may be the result of something depressing going on in your life. By working on the cause of the problem, these feelings of sadness and frustration may fade.

No one's life is truly perfect, but by not allowing ourselves to get so dragged down by every negative situation or hurtful word that may come our way, we can have better control over our own peace and happiness.

Why?

Because while we can't control others, we CAN control how we allow others affect us. As such, if we are living a good and godly life, and have no reason to feel the heavy burden and consequence of sin and the separation it causes between God and ourselves, then let us instead
sing joyful praises to Him, and be thankful for all God has blessed us with!

"What about antidepressant pills?" asks Mary.

God has allowed mankind to learn about many medical marvels and tools. If we don't have a problem taking daily vitamins to stay healthy, or getting a yearly flu shot to ward of sickness, or even to have a life-saving operation when needed, then no one should feel shame or embarrassment when medication is prescribed for a true chemical imbalance. Often times, even when the depression may not be hormonal, a doctor may temporarily prescribe anti-depressant medication so that the patient can come to a better emotional place where they are more
able to tackle an unresolved issue or root cause of their depressed feelings. Perhaps they may have a history of abuse, or feel worthless because they were given up for adoption as a child.

Prayer :
"Dear God, you know I've been feeling very depressed lately. Please help me to see truth for what it is; show me the reality of why I feel this heaviness upon my heart so that I can walk upon the road to healing. Today, I place my life in Your hand's, God, and I trust You to be a loving Father. This I ask in the name of Your son, Jesus Christ. Amen."

No comments: